Admission Requirements for the Direct Entry MSN
Our Direct Entry MSN program is for those who have graduated with a bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited college or university (or an international equivalent). The bachelor’s degree can be in any academic major other than nursing. Admissions decisions are based on a holistic evaluation of each applicant’s qualifications and materials.
For full consideration you must provide:
- A completed application
- Official transcripts of all previous college work showing a cumulative undergraduate GPA of at least 3.0
- Personal statement (recommended but optional)
- Letter of recommendation (recommended but optional)
- A completed health form and physical, evidence of a health check, and a background check. In addition, completion of the American Heart Association Basic Life Support Training for Health Care Professionals within three months prior to admission; uploaded evidence to CastleBranch.
- Non-U.S. applicants must provide evidence that they received a minimum score of 550 on TOEFL
- Non-U.S. applicants must provide transcripts from all post-secondary institutions. An official evaluation of foreign credentials will be required for international transcripts.
Prerequisite Course Requirements
Students may apply before completing all prerequisites, but students must have all prerequisite courses completed before starting the program.
Prerequisites must be completed with a grade of C or better within seven years of starting the program (except where noted):
- Human Anatomy and Physiology (with a lab component)
- Microbiology (with a lab component)
- Chemistry or Biochemistry
- Developmental Psychology
- Abnormal Psychology
- Inferential Statistics (must be completed within five years of starting the program)
Are you interested in earning your DEMSN but haven’t completed all your prerequisite courses? Alverno College offers a fully online suite of post-baccalaureate prerequisites that will allow you to affordably complete your requirements in only eight weeks. Students enrolled in these post-baccalaureate courses may qualify for federal financial aid.
Click here to view our DEMSN prerequisite courses.